Saturday 24 November 2012

Kingdoms of Amular (PS3)

6/10
Kingdoms of Amular splits opinion when talking about aesthetics.  The colour palette is more vibrant and colourful than the grainy realistic palettes of other titles. But, I think it's a welcome change in this game as it looks beautiful and fantastical inter-twined with the type of story. The combat system is also very good. You have a plethora of weapons, potions and magic to use also to give the player enough variety.

Where the game falls completely flat is the sense of being generically mundane. Eventually you start seeing the same landscapes (not in terms of colour which I stress again is wonderful) but the layout of villages and cities. I swear, by around a few hours in I thought I had serious deja-vu on entering one town, which looked exactly like the previous three towns I had visited. I wasn't compelled by the story either or the characters themselves.  It's this department that the game takes a critical hit and after prolonged gaming I just wasn't drawn into the world at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment